Better Identity Coalition: Update from Capitol Hill
As Chief Compliance Officer for ID Analytics, a Symantec company, I will be keeping our readers apprised of legislative updates from Washington, D.C. that impact our industry. Last week, the Better Identity Coalition (BIC) gathered for an event on Capitol Hill to release its new white paper: “Better Identity in America: A Blueprint for Policymakers.”
As one of the founding members of the coalition, we were present and provided our input regarding the key initiatives outlined in the report, as follows:
- Prioritize the development of next-generation remote identity proofing and verification systems.
- Change the way Americans use the Social Security Number.
- Promote and prioritize the use of strong authentication.
- Pursue international coordination and harmonization of identity standards.
- Educate consumers and businesses about better digital identity solutions.
Here’s what we had to say in the BIC press release announcing the release of the white paper:
“This white paper establishes a road map for policymakers on the critical issue of consumer identity and authentication. Improving customer experience, ensuring privacy and reducing the fraud that affects businesses and consumers are critical issues that Symantec addresses every day. We’re very pleased to be a member of the Better Identity Coalition and are excited about the recommendations made in this report,” said Nico Popp, senior vice president of Symantec.¹
Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available and my future updates from the Hill. As always, please contact me with any questions.
Ken Meiser is Chief Compliance Officer at ID Analytics
1. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/landmark-report-on-improving-digital-identity-released-today-300683460.html (accessed July 23, 2018).